NEW FRAGRANCES FROM FIELE September 11 2015
Service is now stocking three fragrances from FIELE. All scents are blended by hand with natural grain alcohol and compounded in small, fresh batches in Santa Monica, CA. The fragrances are luxe, clean and a little earthy, with an emphasis on superior quality natural ingredients. Every composition is made with globally sourced wildcrafted and organic essential oils, CO2 extracts and absolutes.
Absolutes are similar to essential oils. They are concentrated, highly aromatic, oily mixtures extracted from plants. All batches are chilled and triple filtered prior to filling. 100% Cruelty-Free, not tested on animals.
Each fragrance comes in a 1.7 fl oz / 50 ml bottle and is an EDP (Eau de Parfum).
The name "FIELE", pronounced fil, is borrowed from an old West Frisian word meaning "to feel”. Frisia is a coastal region along the southeastern corner of the North Sea.
FATHER'S DAY ESSENTIALS, PT. 1 June 05 2015
For this Father's Day, we've rounded up some of our favorite grooming products and accessories which are sure to please dad. All available in-store and online. Don't forget dad, June 21st.
Clockwise from top left:
1. Cella Italian Shave Soap Creme, 2. Field Notes Original 3-Pack Cherry Graph, 3. Swedish Dream Sea Salt Candle, 4. Billykirk No. 257 Collar Button Dopp Kit Navy, 5. Proraso Sapone Shaving Cream Tub, 6. Pocket Fork & Knife Combo, 7. Peruvian Palo Santo Incense Extra Large, 8. Have-A-Hank Classic Bandana Red, 9. Have-A-Hank Classic Bandana Brown, 10. Owen & Fred Calm. Cool. Collected. Comb, 11. Owen & Fred The Franklin Wallet Brown Navy, 12. Field Notes Original 3-Pack Ambition, 13. Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste, 14. Marvis Classic Strong Mint Toothpaste, 15. Have-A-Hank Classic Bandana Green, 16. Have-A-Hank Classic Bandana Silver, 17. Have-A-Hank Classic Bandana Navy, 18. Brass Swordfish Letter Opener, 19. Field Notes A Drive Into the Gap by Kevin Guilfoile, 20. Vie-Long Cachurro Horse Hair Shave Brush, 21. Moscot Lemtosh Sunglasses Wood, 22. Field Notes Original 3-Pack Ruled Paper, 23. Gentleman's 3-Blade Pocket Knife, 24. Merker Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome, 25. Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol After Shave Lotion, 26. Tsovet SVT-CV43 Chrome Tan Watch, 27. Tsovet SVT-CV43 Chrome Dark Brown, 28. Hugh Parsons King's Road Fragrance.
NEW BRAND: OWEN & FRED March 27 2015
A new brand at Service is Brooklyn based Owen & Fred. They make useful accessories all produced in the USA. We have picked up their sturdy duffel bags, travel shave kits, Horween leather wallets and a few other items all with clever sayings incorporated into each product.
Work Hard Play Hard Duffel Bag in Brown Navy. Also comes in Green.
Hey Handsome Shave Kit in Green. Also comes in Navy and Brown.You Earned It Brass Bottle Opener.
Wake Me Up Soap in Eucalyptus.
Franklin Wallet in Brown. Also comes in Black.
FATHER'S DAY JUNE 15TH June 03 2014
For this father's day, we've rounded up some store favorites that are sure to please dad. Above, wallets and card cases by Jack Spade & by Porter ($65 - $158).
Castle Forbes fragrances ($95 - $145).
Grooming products from Osma, Merkur, Omega, and Golddach's ($10 - $74).
And for the dad who would actually want to...ties from Alexander Olch & Gitman Bros. ($98 - $150).
All available in-store at Service Menswear.
THE GROOMING DEPARTMENT AT SERVICE February 07 2014
Some of the most commonly asked questions that we get from our customers regarding the shaving ritual using a traditional safety razor. The question we most often hear is, why use a safety razor? The answers are cost and healthier skin. A 10 pack of safety blades costs about $1.00 per blade (compared to $2.50 to $3.00 per cartridge for disposable razor blades.) When compared to an electric razor, a safety razor gives a much closer shave and leaves skin in better condition, due to only one blade crossing the skin. Although it makes for a quick shave, it isn't necessary to use a razor that uses three or more blades. Multi-blade razors can greatly irritate the skin and electric razors are akin to a lawnmower for your face.
What should your shaving kit contain? There are two ways to go about it, the difference being that one makes use of a brush, while the other uses shaving cream from a tube:
- safety razor
- pack of razor blades
- shave cream from a tube or a traditional shave soap in a bowl
- shaving brush if using a traditional shave soap
- brush stand so that the brush lasts and dries properly
- alum block, with antiseptic properties, help seal and heal wounds (for the ladies reading this post, the alum block is an amazing product to use on your legs)
- moisturizer for those with dry or sensitive skin
- razor bank for safe storage of discarded blades
Merkur Long Handle Double Safety Razor ($75) & Merkur 10 Pack Razor Blades ($12)
Service Menswear has been stocking a Merkur brand long handle, double safety razor. Merkur is a highly regarded razor manufacturer from an area in Germany where some of the best steel manufacturing in the world takes place. Our Merkur razor is chrome plated with a handsome dotted pattern on the handle. In addition, Service stocks a 10 pack of Merkur blades. If you shave every single day, and depending on the coarseness of your beard, a 10 pack of double sided blades should last at least 4 months.
How many passes should it take to shave with a safety razor? The blade should cut the hair close to the skin after a couple of passes using gentle pressure. If it feels like you have to go over the same area many times to reduce the hair, the blade may need to be replaced. With that said, it is normal to go over the same area more than 1 time, as the risk of nicks is high if the blade gives a very close shave in just one pass.
We are also often asked, "how to choose the proper blade?" For new shavers, it may seem like the sharper the blade the better, but keep in mind the sensitivity of your skin and the coarseness of your beard. We stock and recommend Merkur blades as a good starter blade, and the blade of choice for many. There are sharper blades on the market, such as Feather brand, but newbies beware, these blades are extra sharp and recommended for more experienced shavers. Lastly, there should be no irritation with the use of aftershave, and if there is, this is an indication your blade is too sharp. The Home Alone experience should not be the norm!
What is the difference between badger, horse, and boar bristle brushes? Badger holds water best and creates the richest lather, but horse hair is a great alternative at a good value. Boar bristles, sometimes labeled natural bristles, are effective at creating a good lather and are inexpensively priced. Service offers selections in each category.
From left to right:
- Silvertip Badger Brush with Wood Handle ($135)
- Silvertip Badger Shave Brush with Ream Bakelite Handle ($175)
- Silvertip Shave Brush with Heavy Chrome Handle ($135)
- Italian Boar Shave Brush with Black Chrome Handle ($20)
- Spanish Horse Hair Shave Brush ($38)
- Golddach's Badger Bristle and Pine Chess Piece Shave Brush ($65)
HOLIDAY ROUNDUP 1: WRAPPED & READY December 04 2013
Every Holiday season at Service, we offer many of our items pre gift wrapped. Kirk & his team of worker elves are busy starting in October, preparing all the boxes and twine you currently see in the shop. Small items such as soaps and ornaments, as well as grooming supplies and bottle openers can be found nicely wrapped in a box around the store ready to put under the menorah, the tree, or inside a stocking. We always offer complimentary gift wrapping for any and all of our customer's purchases, and we will gladly wrap while you wait or have everything finished by the time you've had your first cocktail at Perla's. Here are some gifts we have ready for y'all, our first Holiday roundup of the season.
Red gauze scarf ($28) & Proraso shave set ($25)
Sea salt, cedarwood, and pine soaps ($6-$10)
We have more than just these items boxed up and we'll have even more next week, so come by and do some Holiday shopping with the Service crew...we'd love to have you in.
HISTOIRES DE PARFUMS: HEMINGWAY EDITION November 11 2013
Service has received an addition to our growing selection of Histoires de Parfums colognes...year 1899 in honor of Ernest Hemingway. This complex scent with notes of bergamot, black pepper, orange blossom, cinnamon, vanilla, amber, iris, and vetiver combines the classic with the exotic. With time spent in Italy, Spain, and Cuba, this Hemingway inspired cologne appropriately brings together aromas reminiscent of the regions the great American writer spent his days. Comes in a 2FL.OZ bottle for $125 in addition to the miniature 14ML bottle for $36.